Director of the Institute
Dr. Aleš Završnik is a Senior Researcher and Director at the Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana and Professor at the Faculty of Law University of Ljubljana. Recently, he was EURIAS & Marie Curie Fellow at the Collegium Helveticum/ETH in Zürich (2017/18). His research interest lay in the intersection of law, crime, technology, and fundamental rights. Among several others, he lead a research project Law in the Age of Big Data (Slovenian Research Agency, 2014 -2017), and edited a book Big Data, Crime and Social Control (Routledge, 2018) and a book Drones and Unmanned Aerial Systems: Legal and Social Implications for Security and Surveillance (Springer, 2016). He organised several conferences in these research areas, e.g. Automated Justice: Algorithms, Big Data and Criminal Justice Systems in Zürich (2018) and Big Data: Challenges for Law and Ethics in Ljubljana (2017). He is an independent Ethics Expert with the European Research Council (ERC) and for the REA, the research arm of the European Commission.
Fields of research:
criminology, criminal law, philosophy of law, psychology and law, law and psychoanalysis, post-structural analysis of law, crime and technology, cybercrime
- Trans-making – Art/culture/economy to democratize society. Research in placemaking for alternative narrative
- Framework project group | Social control, criminal justice system, violence and prevention of victimization in highly technological society
- Preventive (in)justice: the prevention of crime and social harms
- Psychological mechanisms in criminal justice: Deconstructing objectivity
- Automated Justice: Social, Ethical and Legal Implications
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Criminal justice, artificial intelligence systems, and human rights. ERA-Forum : scripta iuris europaei. 2020, 20(4), pp. 567-583. DOI: 10.1007/s12027-020-00602-0.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Algorithmic Justice: Algorithms and Big Data in Criminal Justice Settings. European Journal of Criminology, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/1477370819876762
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. The European Digital Fortress and Large Biometric EU IT Systems: Border Criminology, Technology, and Human Rights, Dve domovini / Two Homelands, 2019, 49(1), pp. 51-68. http://twohomelands.zrc-sazu.si/uploads/issues/1549288346_DD_49_WEB.pdf
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Algorithmic surveillance: big data, algorithms and social control. Revija za kriminalistiko in kriminologijo, 2017, 68(2), pp. 135-149 (in Slovenian). https://www.policija.si/images/stories/Publikacije/RKK/PDF/2017/02/RKK2017-02_AlesZavrsnik_AlgoritmičnoNadzorstvo.pdf
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, ZRIMŠEK, Vanja. Hate Speech According to Slovenian Penal Legislation and Court Practice: An Unconstitutional Situation? (In orig.: Sovražni govor po slovenski kaznovalni zakonodaji in sodni praksi: neustaven položaj.) Časopis za kritiko znanosti, 2017, 45(268), pp. 59-73. https://www.dlib.si/details/URN:NBN:SI:DOC-57B7OFUP
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, LEVIČNIK, Pia. The public perception of cyber-surveillance before and after Edward Snowden’s surveillance revelations. Masaryk University journal of law and technology, 2015, 9(2), pp. 33-58. https://journals.muni.cz/mujlt/article/view/2831
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Blurring the line between law enforcement and intelligence: sharpening the gaze of surveillance? Journal of contemporary European research, 2013, 9(1), pp. 181-202. http://www.jcer.net/index.php/jcer/article/view/452
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, SEDEJ, Anja (2012). Internet and mobile phone bullying in Slovenias(Orig.: Spletno in mobilno nadlegovanje v Sloveniji). Revija za kriminalistiko inkriminologijo, 63 (4), pp. 263-280 (in Slovenian). https://www.policija.si/images/stories/Publikacije/RKK/PDF/2012/04/RKK2012-04_Zavrsnik_Sedej_SpletnoInMobilnoNadlegovanje.pdf
Books and edited collections
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.). Big Data, Crime and Social Control, Routledge, 2018.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, SELINŠEK, Liljana (eds.). Law in the Age of Big Data. University of Ljubljana: Faculty of Law; and Institute of Crimininology at the Faculty of Law, Ljubljana (in Slovenian), 2018.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Kyberkriminalita. Praha: Wolters Kluwer, 2017.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.). Drones and Unmanned Aerial Systems: Legal and Social Implications for Security and Surveillance. Cham [etc.]: Springer, 2016.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Kibernetska kriminaliteta. Ljubljana: IUS Software, GV založba, Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law, 2015.
- ŠELIH, Alenka, ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (eds.). Crime and transition in Central and Eastern Europe. New York [etc.]: Springer, 2012.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.) (2010). Crime and Technology: How Computers Transform Surveillance and Privacy, Crime and Crime Control? Ljubljana: Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law (in Slovenian).
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Homo Criminalis: Depicting a Criminal in the High-tech Risk Society. Ljubljana: Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law, 2009 (in Slovenian).
Contributions to edited collections
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, KRIŽNAR, Primož. Legal standards of location privacy in light of the mosaic theory. In: NEWELL, Bryce Clayton (ed.), TIMAN, Tjerk (ed.), KOOPS, Bert-Jaap (ed.). Surveillance, privacy and public space, (Routledge studies in surveillance, 2). Abingdon; New York: Routledge. 2018, pp. 199-220.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Why there are no convictions of hate speech in Slovenia? From the implementation fetters to rigid explanation (Orig.: Zakaj obsodb sovražnega govora v Sloveniji ni? : od okov implementacije do rigidnosti razlage). In: SPLICHAL, Slavko (ed.). In defence of public (Orig.: Zagovor javnosti : med svobodo izražanja in sovražnim govorom, (Razprave, 33). Ljubljana: The Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. 2017, pp. 101-114.
- CAMPBELL, Marilyn, ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Should cyberbullying be criminalized?. In: SMITH, Peter K., STEFFGEN, Georges (eds.). Cyberbullying through the new media: findings from an international network. London; New York: Psychology Press. 2013, pp. 65-82.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Criminal justice systems’ (over)reactions to IT security threats. In: BELLINI, Marcello (ed.). Current issues in IT security. Berlin: Duncker & Humblot. 2010, pp. 113-135.
Full and updated bibliography:
Our researchers prof. dr. Aleš Završnik and Iva Ramuš Cvetkovič attended a conference at the Faculty of Law, University of Sarajevo
On Thursday, 18. 5. 2023, the Director of the Institute, prof. dr. Aleš Završnik, and our junior researcher Iva Ramus Cvetkovič attended the conference "Digitalization u pravu, zaštita privatnosti i automatizacija - DPZPA" at the Faculty of Law of the University of...
The monograph Law and Artificial Intelligence is published in Bosnian translation
A scientific monograph Law and Artificial Intelligence: questions of ethics, human rights and social harm (Pravo i umjetna inteligencija: pitanja etike, prava čovjeka i društvene štete), edited by our researcher prof. dr Aleš Završnik and dr. Katja Simončič, has been...
Aleš Završnik guest on the show Panoptikum about hate speech
Our researcher prof. dr. Aleš Završnik was a guest on the show Panoptikum on TV Slovenia, whose topic was hate speech. The guests of the programme reflected on what hate speech is; how and why it is created; what is the role of social media; where is the line between...
Publication of the monograph Artificial Intelligence, Social Harms and Human Rights
Palgrave Macmillan has published a monograph entitled Artificial Intelligence, Social Harms and Human Rights, edited by our researcher Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik and Dr. Katja Simončič. The chapters in the monograph explore the rapidly evolving field of artificial...
CYBERSPACE 2022 Our researchers Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik, Aleksej Jankovič and Iva Ramuš Cvetkovič attended the international conference CYBERSPACE 2022 in Brno. The now traditional conference, which celebrated its 20th anniversary this year, covers a wide range of...
Lecture by Dr. Ales Završnik at the Digital Age Research Center (D!ARC), University of Klagenfurt
Our researcher Dr. Aleš Završnik will give a lecture on automating criminal justice tomorrow, 24 November 2022 at 4 pm. You are invited to follow the lecture, which will take place at the Digital Age Research Center (D!ARC), University of Klagenfurt, live:...
Publication of the monograph IEL Privacy and Technolgy Law
A new monograph entitled IEL Privacy and Technology Law has been published by Wolters Kluwe. The co-authors of the monograph are our researchers, Dr Aleš Završnik and Dr Pika Šarf, as well as Assoc. Prof. Dr Karmen Lutman and Assoc. Prof. Dr Primož Gorkič. More...
Vpliv dizajna tehnologije na uporabnike: od prepričevalnega računalništva do temnih vzorcev
Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik lead a panel at the 3rd Information Security Law Conference, the 3rd May 2022, Portorož, and gave a talk on the ethical design of information technologies: an example of dark patterns. Presenters discussed possible legal remedies for cases of...
The Challenges of Artificial Intelligence in Digital Societies : the case of Algorithmic Criminal Justice
Prof. Aleš Završnik contributed a speech at the INTERNATIONAL DIGITAL SECURITY FORUM VIENNA, social track »The Challenges of Artificial Intelligence in Digital Societies«. In his talk he tackled the question How does the justice sector reflect the trend of the...
Criminal justice, artificial intelligence systems, and human rights
Latest research from Aleš Završnik just published with SpringerNature in ERA Forum. Read here: https://rdcu.be/b10rZ
Inštitut za kriminologijo
Poljanski nasip 2