Director of the Institute
Professor Aleš Završnik is a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana and a full professor at the Faculty of Law at the University of Ljubljana, where he received his PhD. He has completed postdoctoral training at the ETH Zürich, and Max Planck Institute in Freiburg and the Faculty of Law of the University of Oslo. His research focuses on topics at the intersection of law, information technology and crime. He is interested in the impact of new technologies on human rights, social control and subjectivity. He has conducted several research projects at the Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law in Ljubljana and Zürich. At the Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, he lectures at the first Bologna and at the PhD levels, for example, on Crime, Social Control and Information Technology. He has been involved in the development of the regulation of new technologies at the Council of Europe, e.g. with the Council of Europe’s European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) in the development of the European Charter on the Use of Artificial Intelligence in Justice Systems (2018) and the Council of Europe’s Committee of Experts on Criminal Matters (CD-PC) on Artificial Intelligence and Criminal Law Liability. At the national level, he has participated in several inter-ministerial working groups to prepare fundamental guidelines for the work of ministries. He cooperates with the European Research Council (ERC) in the ethical review procedures of security and ICT projects and the ethical appraisal procedures of other European and national research agencies. His bibliography comprises more than 500 units. He has received several awards for his scientific work, including the European Society of Criminology’s Best Article of the Year 2021 Award.
- Trans-making – Art/culture/economy to democratize society. Research in placemaking for alternative narrative
- Framework project group | Social control, criminal justice system, violence and prevention of victimization in highly technological society
- Preventive (in)justice: the prevention of crime and social harms
- Psychological mechanisms in criminal justice: Deconstructing objectivity
- Automated Justice: Social, Ethical and Legal Implications
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Criminal justice, artificial intelligence systems, and human rights. ERA-Forum : scripta iuris europaei. 2020, 20(4), pp. 567-583. DOI: 10.1007/s12027-020-00602-0.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Algorithmic Justice: Algorithms and Big Data in Criminal Justice Settings. European Journal of Criminology, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/1477370819876762
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. The European Digital Fortress and Large Biometric EU IT Systems: Border Criminology, Technology, and Human Rights, Dve domovini / Two Homelands, 2019, 49(1), pp. 51-68. http://twohomelands.zrc-sazu.si/uploads/issues/1549288346_DD_49_WEB.pdf
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Algorithmic surveillance: big data, algorithms and social control. Revija za kriminalistiko in kriminologijo, 2017, 68(2), pp. 135-149 (in Slovenian). https://www.policija.si/images/stories/Publikacije/RKK/PDF/2017/02/RKK2017-02_AlesZavrsnik_AlgoritmičnoNadzorstvo.pdf
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, ZRIMŠEK, Vanja. Hate Speech According to Slovenian Penal Legislation and Court Practice: An Unconstitutional Situation? (In orig.: Sovražni govor po slovenski kaznovalni zakonodaji in sodni praksi: neustaven položaj.) Časopis za kritiko znanosti, 2017, 45(268), pp. 59-73. https://www.dlib.si/details/URN:NBN:SI:DOC-57B7OFUP
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, LEVIČNIK, Pia. The public perception of cyber-surveillance before and after Edward Snowden’s surveillance revelations. Masaryk University journal of law and technology, 2015, 9(2), pp. 33-58. https://journals.muni.cz/mujlt/article/view/2831
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Blurring the line between law enforcement and intelligence: sharpening the gaze of surveillance? Journal of contemporary European research, 2013, 9(1), pp. 181-202. http://www.jcer.net/index.php/jcer/article/view/452
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, SEDEJ, Anja (2012). Internet and mobile phone bullying in Slovenias(Orig.: Spletno in mobilno nadlegovanje v Sloveniji). Revija za kriminalistiko inkriminologijo, 63 (4), pp. 263-280 (in Slovenian). https://www.policija.si/images/stories/Publikacije/RKK/PDF/2012/04/RKK2012-04_Zavrsnik_Sedej_SpletnoInMobilnoNadlegovanje.pdf
Books and edited collections
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.). Big Data, Crime and Social Control, Routledge, 2018.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, SELINŠEK, Liljana (eds.). Law in the Age of Big Data. University of Ljubljana: Faculty of Law; and Institute of Crimininology at the Faculty of Law, Ljubljana (in Slovenian), 2018.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Kyberkriminalita. Praha: Wolters Kluwer, 2017.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.). Drones and Unmanned Aerial Systems: Legal and Social Implications for Security and Surveillance. Cham [etc.]: Springer, 2016.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Kibernetska kriminaliteta. Ljubljana: IUS Software, GV založba, Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law, 2015.
- ŠELIH, Alenka, ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (eds.). Crime and transition in Central and Eastern Europe. New York [etc.]: Springer, 2012.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš (ed.) (2010). Crime and Technology: How Computers Transform Surveillance and Privacy, Crime and Crime Control? Ljubljana: Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law (in Slovenian).
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Homo Criminalis: Depicting a Criminal in the High-tech Risk Society. Ljubljana: Institute of Criminology at the Faculty of Law, 2009 (in Slovenian).
Contributions to edited collections
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš, KRIŽNAR, Primož. Legal standards of location privacy in light of the mosaic theory. In: NEWELL, Bryce Clayton (ed.), TIMAN, Tjerk (ed.), KOOPS, Bert-Jaap (ed.). Surveillance, privacy and public space, (Routledge studies in surveillance, 2). Abingdon; New York: Routledge. 2018, pp. 199-220.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Why there are no convictions of hate speech in Slovenia? From the implementation fetters to rigid explanation (Orig.: Zakaj obsodb sovražnega govora v Sloveniji ni? : od okov implementacije do rigidnosti razlage). In: SPLICHAL, Slavko (ed.). In defence of public (Orig.: Zagovor javnosti : med svobodo izražanja in sovražnim govorom, (Razprave, 33). Ljubljana: The Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. 2017, pp. 101-114.
- CAMPBELL, Marilyn, ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Should cyberbullying be criminalized?. In: SMITH, Peter K., STEFFGEN, Georges (eds.). Cyberbullying through the new media: findings from an international network. London; New York: Psychology Press. 2013, pp. 65-82.
- ZAVRŠNIK, Aleš. Criminal justice systems’ (over)reactions to IT security threats. In: BELLINI, Marcello (ed.). Current issues in IT security. Berlin: Duncker & Humblot. 2010, pp. 113-135.
Full and updated bibliography:
Our researchers Dr. Jasmina Arnež, Dr. Vasja Badalič, Prof. Renata Salecl and Prof. Aleš Završnik preseneted their papers at the ASC Annual Congress (photo: Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, remains of the famous panoptic prison, 1829- 1971).
Prof. Dr Aleš Završnik at the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Slovenia on the opportunities and pitfalls of artificial intelligence
Prof. Dr Aleš Završnik at the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Slovenia on the opportunities and pitfalls of artificial intelligence on 8.11.2023: At the meeting called "Constitutional Moment", prof. Završnik gave a talk on the relevance of AI for law and...
The Director of the Institute, Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik, was a guest on the program "Intelekta" on Radio Slovenia's First Program. The guests of the program reflected on who will benefit and who will be harmed by the new artificial intelligence, and how to use and...
Our researchers prof. dr. Aleš Završnik and Iva Ramuš Cvetkovič attended a conference at the Faculty of Law, University of Sarajevo
On Thursday, 18. 5. 2023, the Director of the Institute, prof. dr. Aleš Završnik, and our junior researcher Iva Ramus Cvetkovič attended the conference "Digitalization u pravu, zaštita privatnosti i automatizacija - DPZPA" at the Faculty of Law of the University of...
A scientific monograph Law and Artificial Intelligence: questions of ethics, human rights and social harm (Pravo i umjetna inteligencija: pitanja etike, prava čovjeka i društvene štete), edited by our researcher prof. dr Aleš Završnik and dr. Katja Simončič, has been...
Our researcher prof. dr. Aleš Završnik was a guest on the show Panoptikum on TV Slovenia, whose topic was hate speech. The guests of the programme reflected on what hate speech is; how and why it is created; what is the role of social media; where is the line between...
Palgrave Macmillan has published a monograph entitled Artificial Intelligence, Social Harms and Human Rights, edited by our researcher Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik and Dr. Katja Simončič. The chapters in the monograph explore the rapidly evolving field of artificial...
CYBERSPACE 2022 Our researchers Prof. Dr. Aleš Završnik, Aleksej Jankovič and Iva Ramuš Cvetkovič attended the international conference CYBERSPACE 2022 in Brno. The now traditional conference, which celebrated its 20th anniversary this year, covers a wide range of...
Our researcher Dr. Aleš Završnik will give a lecture on automating criminal justice tomorrow, 24 November 2022 at 4 pm. You are invited to follow the lecture, which will take place at the Digital Age Research Center (D!ARC), University of Klagenfurt, live:...
A new monograph entitled IEL Privacy and Technology Law has been published by Wolters Kluwe. The co-authors of the monograph are our researchers, Dr Aleš Završnik and Dr Pika Šarf, as well as Assoc. Prof. Dr Karmen Lutman and Assoc. Prof. Dr Primož Gorkič. More...